Lodge “Les Asphodèles”
The Vis Valley – Cirque de Navacelles
A particular geology
- The Vis river has patiently excavated its meanderings through the limestone plateau, thus creating the Cirque de Navacelles.
- This process created a number of small and big caves. Some can be visited.
- Gorniès and its lithographic stone quarries.
An exceptional natural legacy
- Region Causses & Cevennes, graded « World Heritage site » (UNESCO)
- Cirque de Navacelles : graded « Grand site de France » (Great site of France)
- The river Vis : graded « Wild River » (WWF)
- La Grotte des Demoiselles (The Ladybirds Cave) : graded « Grand Site National (Great National Site) »
- Le Parc des Cévennes : a whole region graded National Park.
- Hikes : walks and discovering
- Astronomy : a dark sky reserve
- Fishing : a particular Fario trout species
Partnership : unusual activities
- Aigoual Pleine nature, our partner : professionnal instructors offer you to share their passion. You may join them to discover the Cevennes, and practise original activities, in respect of the environment. For every age and level. A dream !
- Feel free to contact them directly at +33 6 01 74 95 82, or http://www.aigoualpleinenature.fr
The Cevennes : a country, an history
- Silk industry (19th century) : a story to hear at the Silk Museum at St Hippolythe du Fort.
- The Cevennes and the Religion War (17th) : Everybody remembers here.
- Silk farming (since the 15th) : The Lodge Les Asphodèles used to be one of the numerous silk farms of the country.
- La Couvertoirade, a Templar Knights Order place (11th – 13th)
- The aquaduct Pont du Gard (1st century), and the Roman history in the country.
- La Grotte des Demoiselles (the Ladybirds Cave) at St Bauzille : inhabited in the Neolithic Age, as many other caves.
In the region
Accessible from the Lodge Les Asphodèles :
- Cathar castles
- The Camargue, Aigues-Mortes and the Tour de Constance.
- The Roman aquaduct Pont du Gard, and the highway bridge Pont de Millau, world longest in its category.
- Anduze : the big bamboo plantation and the antique steam train.
- Towns loaded with history : Nîmes, Montpellier, Carcassonne, Sète.